Welcome to the Dragon Boat Races at Dragon on the Lake! Please read below for the weekend schedule, tips, parking, notes and what you can expect for the weekend.
Paddles up, let the race begin!
Saturday – PRACTICE
- 10am – 5pm Team practice. You’ll have one hour to practice with your Dragon Boat Coach, which we’ll provide. Official team registration happens 30 minutes before practice on Saturday. Please show up early at the registration tent to ensure your team gets the maximum practice time.
- We will provide the Dragon Boats, paddles and life jackets.
- All race participants will meet and stage in Greens Park for registration, practice, and races. Saturday’s practice day is a good time to set up your tents, chairs, and coolers to make sure you and your team are comfortable between heats.
- No alcohol is allowed in Green’s Park.
Sunday – RACE DAY!
- 8:45am Mandatory Team Captain meeting in Greens Park. Team Captains only need to attend.
- 9:30am Opening Ceremonies
- 9:45am Racing starts with paddles in the water and getting wet. All teams will race 3 times on Sunday.
- 11:45pm Jet Ski Show in front of Pelton’s Point.
- 12:15pm Flower ceremony to celebrate the lives of cancer survivors, offer hope to those still battling the disease, and honor those who have lost their fight.
- 12:30pm Dragon Boat racing resumes. Please refer to the on-site score board for the racing order.
- 6:00pm Dragon Boat Award Ceremony held the Main Stage in the “Dragon Pub” next to Children’s Park.
Medals for the top finishing teams, the winning cancer survivor team and awards for the following:
Best Dragon Boat Drummer
Best Dragon Boat Team Spirit
Best Dragon Boat Costumes
- It’s a good idea to have extra registered paddlers. Always expect that one of your team members may not make the event and be prepared to have substitutes. An ideal team consists of 22-23 event ready paddlers.
- The Dragon Boat Spectator area is at Pelton’s Point which provides a finish line view.
- The Lake Orion Parade Group will have delicious food and beverages for sale in Green’s Park for all the paddlers throughout the event on Sunday.
Due to the size of the event (over 600 paddlers), Green’s Park is for dropping off people & equipment only. Official event parking is at Blanch Sims Elementary School with 3 shuttles to take paddlers to and from the event.
Blanch Sims Elementary School
465 E. Jackson St.
Lake Orion, Mi. 48362